About one month ago, I wrote a post about my goal to work on my lifelong journey. A week before that, by using what I have learned from a wonderful book, “The Power of Habit”, I started working on forming new good habits and changing old bad habits. By keeping the records of how my habits are going every week, I have been paying very close attention to what I have done and what needs to be improved.
Today I am very proud to launch my first Summary of the past 5 weeks’ efforts since I started the journey from Jan 14, 2013 (up to Feb 17, 2013). By looking at the records, I have a good reason to be proud for myself and would like to summarize some details along my journey. I wish all of you could be proud for yourself and please share your successful story as well.
In the first 5 weeks, I have been focusing on adding 5 good habits mainly on health and fitness. Now let me get into them one by one:
- Brush and Floss teeth 2 times every day: Not too long ago, I was teaching my 5 years’ old son the importance of protecting teeth and showing him how to brush and floss teeth properly. To be very honest, this has not caused too much of my attention until 3 years ago. To use it as a starting point to keep up the consistency especially to help my son build up healthy teeth at the same time, I have been working along very well. In 5 weeks, 35 days, 70 times brushing and flossing (2 times every day), I have not missed any single one. I am very confident this good habit will last for long and keep my teeth healthy for a good amount of time – say 50 years!
- Abs Exercise – sit-ups: In the past 6 years, I have been spending at least 10 hours in front of a computer and my belly is just getting bigger and bigger. In order to keep it under control, I start doing sit-ups exercises. I begin with 3 sets of 20 sit-ups each and add a little bit more every week. Now I am doing 4 sets of 35 each and I can feel my pants are dropping. In 5 weeks, 35 days, one Abs exercise each day, I have done all of them perfectly without missing any of the day. To me, this is amazing because even when I was constantly going to gym in year 2004 and 2005 (by working out 3-4 times every week), the best record I have ever made was only 17 days with Abs exercise (no break on any day in between).
- Drinking Water: I can’t tell enough how much drinking water can help with a healthy body, so I chose to stick to this habit on my journey. I keep drinking 15 cups of water (about 3.5L) every single day. In 5 weeks, 35 days, I had at least 15 cups of water every single day. Some of the days I even had more than 20 cups.
- Wake Up Early in the morning: morning is the most important part of the day and sleep in too much can mess up the day very easily, so I decide to build up this habit and keep a nice working schedule. I wake up at 5am every morning, in order to have 8-hour sleep, I have to go to bed around 9pm every night. In 5 weeks, 35 days, I woke up on time for 29 days. As you can see, there are about 6 days missing because of my laziness, but I can still proudly enough to say I have never done this well before.
- Doing exercise – by running 20 floors, 300 stairs every day, I was kicking my own ass and getting rid of laziness completely from my life. In 5 weeks, 35 days, I have been completing this exercise in 32 days – only 3 days missing – good job!
My goal is not to stop here, so I will keep adding more good habits and also work on changing my bad habits. In most recent 2 weeks, I have been experimenting 2 new habits of making plan every day and keep working constantly.
I will be reporting my new achievement in my next 5 weeks summary – see you in 5 weeks!